Saturday, February 17, 2007

Get your hands off my kid...


...was the mantra for Valentines Day last week. When the Pageant finally let the four or five hundred kids inside for the Jack's Mannequin Concert, those that got there early rushed the stage and began yet another wait for their idol, Andrew McMahon. Four bands later, he showed and he delivered.

Taking the stage around 8:30 and looking rather thin, he wasn't what I expected based on the local fanstyle. He was casually dressed in an un-tucked short sleeved business shirt, grey slacks and converse high tops. I stood in line from 2:45 pm until 5:30 pm in 20 degree weather on Valentines day, waiting like a teenager for the concert to start. I was expecting some majorly punked out, iron, pierced, tat guru. Kind of like some of the townfolk passing by. I love the Loop, by the way, it is just real.

Not the case with McMahon. His music and lyrics were solid. He did let the F-bomb fly every now and then, but you could feel his sincere commitment to deliver a solid musical experience vs some over the top shouting contest with crude comments and lyrics. McMahon played non-stop for two and a half hours, most of the songs from his latest album, Everything in Transit. The audience knew and sang every word.

Princess rockstar wannabe is seen above with the lead singer of opening band, The Audition, out to get a taco before show time I reckon, or checking out the 15 year old field. Either way,
don't you think he would make a decent prom date?

McMahon was the real deal and so were the fans who behaved well enough for me to consider going to see him again. As did the staff of the Pageant, we are lucky to have this solid operation in our community. I suppose I am grateful also for my daughter exposing me to her type of music, the likes of which many other audiences would approve. I recommend keeping an eye on this guy, McMahon. Lots more to come from him.


No comments: