Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Russ "Big Daddy" Hunt

I am very lucky. Not because I get to go fishing down in Florida, not cause I have a fancy bike to ride between he keys during spring break with my family. I am lucky for having Russ Hunt as an employee and friend. Russ is our main guy at Lindenwood University, between us we have worked there some 25 years. Together, and with our great staff, we have built the food services into what it is today. We take our jobs seriously, as we do our down time.

Russ drove over from Orlando to meet me in Sarasota so we could go fishing. He is a baseball freak and came down to stay with his nephew while hopping around the spring training circuit. Sarasota is host to the Reds and I have been there a few times. It is common to run in to a pro baseball player while hanging out in St. Armonds Circle near Longboat, or catching some rays on Siesta Key.

Russ is a tough guy. This year was pretty huge for him. He got not one but two full knee replacements. That is no easy chore. He was an athlete when younger and, knowing him, he pushed it to full exertion. His sport, baseball. After school he got heavy and got up to some 400 lbs. Over time he was able to trim 120 lbs through diet and exercise so he would have a better go of the surgery. He is well on his way. Way to go Russ, we are proud of you. You also out fished me by quite a bit. My fishing is a little off right now.

No comments: