Thursday, April 24, 2008

Business Etiquette


Here is one that I bet you didn't know. I teach a business etiquette class for a couple of colleges around the state. I started doing it back in the early 90's when I was one of those stiff butler type Maitre D's. Yes, I was one of those guys who stands in a tuxedo when Buffy and Derrek arrive at their club. I am cordial and often curt. "hello Mr. and Mrs. Farnsworth, might I seat you at the twosome by the window"? I hand Mr. Farnsworth a dinner jacket, (there are rules in the club that require this), and lead them to the table. Lonnie the cocktailer immediately drops a Makers Mark and water and Vodka Gimlet placed at 1:00 o'clock, ladies first, stiff upper back, just to the left of the water glass, top right. I mention a few words about the "Dover" that Wolfgang picked up from Lambert 45 minutes earlier and move back to my podium to conduct the evenings, repeat.

No comments: