Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Street Corner Electioneering

e·lec·tion·eer
(-lksh-nîr)
intr.v. e·lec·tion·eered, e·lec·tion·eer·ing, e·lec·tion·eers
To work actively for a candidate or political party.


I was lassoed the other day by my Ward 3 Chesterfield Alderman Mike Casey to do a little campaign work at the polls this morning. I told him I would be happy to get up at 5:00 AM and make it to the front of Claymont Elementary School in order to press the flesh, on his behalf. I am good at that stuff, in a grass roots kind of sophisticated hoosier kind of way, I know this.

Life is quite the adventure, and not many times do interesting opportunities get offloaded right on to your lap like this. So I jumped at the chance to be the closer, a last minute persuading "tool" for my bro Mike Casey.

I arrived when it was still dark at 6:00 am, just about the same time that the overweight and even more over-the-hill poll workers weebled in to sit at the Samsonite tables set up just right by the custodians work order Monday night. I stood amidst the colorful signs with my bundle of Mike Casey "one-outs" and a hot 20 oz. magnum of coffee from the Mobil Station.

There wasn't much to do for quite a while and I was a little lonely so when another electioneer rolled up, I got a little excited. Looking to have some fun, I welcomed him with a handshake and an introduction that I thought might spicen things up a bit.

I crossed my arms and leaned to one side and whispered:

"Yo dude, Ralph for Mike Casey, wassup"?

He looked at me cautiously and responded with:

"Sup dode, doa-in the prop "B" thang, yo...we cool?"

After a few long seconds to gain better control of the situation, I let him stay. Turns out it was this dude.



I must say, I was absolutely honored to have met the guy. You never know who you might bump in to.

No comments: