Monday, January 25, 2010


From now on any time I fall short of any feat of greatness I will refer to it as "Favrering". Why the hell not? I mean, the dude has come a long way since retiring in 08, returning again in 08, signing with Tampa Bay, trading to the Jets, opting out over some type of injury that seemed to be nothing more than a drama play for low synergy and another move. Don't forget a snub to the nose of the Vikings with a "later in the day" signing...

...Last night Brett Favre threw an interception losing what would have been a dandy Superbowl against Indy. It had been a pretty darn good run up until he decided to try and gain another couple yards. They were already in field goal range. What a friggin disappointment. But pretty par for Favre.

So at what point do we say to ourselves that enough is enough? When do we say, alright then, now is the time to hang it up. Today, bam, done, just like that, over, fix up the house and move on. Kick the field goal now instead of scrape another eight or ten yards or better yet, end your career when you should have, on a high note.

Now, I was given a business plan from a guy yesterday. Wanted me to invest in a farm out on the Gasconade River in Morrison, MO. I don't know anything about farming and it wasn't until just a few years ago that I fancied myself a good enough business man to figure out whether an ROI is bullshit or not. But gosh darnnit, something intrigues me about the thought of checking out, getting out, dropping out, moving on with life, out of the rat race, the struggle to build that which we feel we are responsible to maintain financial independence and/or other.

Dropping out has a sexiness about it, a storybook type of ending that, if done correctly, can make for even better story telling. It is indeed a "happily-ever-after" kind of thing; the buildup and hard working years, the sacrificing, the humdrum and conflict intermingled during the best earning years of our lives suddenly tossed away, in retreat to the country, with a bunch of animals, a gravel road and a farmhouse with a river and hills.

The image of this kind of lifestyle is quite inviting and with just the right push on the right day of the month, a few of us would probably jump after it. Drop out from society, the conforming to standard bullshit.. lets really think about this. There are pros and con's to everything. A few questions.....

Does it mean that I have to shop at Sam's?--with all the....Sam's People?

If I wanted to wake up in the morning and walk in to my front yard naked and shoot my gun, is it cool?

What kind of truck would my wife drive?

When needing to get my toes done, how long a drive?

Are there delivery systems for Sawdust Ale, Golden Wheat, Pumpkin Spice?......

What about girl scout cookies, it'd be the end of those peppermint things.

Can I stack shit on the side of the barn like the rest of my neighbors?

I might like that fact that I could ride a horse or two during the day, ride around on a Terra Tiger or something. Maybe I would build a monster truck, learn to weld, change my own oil in my cars/trucks? I would get me a pair of Overalls from Alpine Shop, or REI. I'd drink bad coffee with my friends at the Sinclair Station in Mule, just outside of Hermann.

Yep, no Favrering for me. I am gonna know just when to quit, no waffling, no coming out of retirement. I am going all in, diving right in to the cow pie with wife in tow. Looking forward to the easy life.

I hope Brett finds a little something that he can fall back on. There is nothing wrong with one last hurrah, but multiple last hurrahs generally wind up with an interception, just like last night, ending a long career on a negative note.

And in the words of Jim Stafford...

"We just smiled and waved, sittin there on that sack of seeds"

"Ya'll come back now, here?".....

6 comments:

herekittykitty said...

Lets grow it on!

Anonymous said...

hard to believe that could inspire me and make me laugh at the same time..

Anonymous said...

Haven't you done this Favring already with this blog?

Trail Monster said...

...here take a stick and wack it.

Craig Farrell said...

When I asked about your own "Favring" [sic] on this blog, I was really only addressing the fact that you have retired twice from blogging and come back each time. I wasn't commenting on the content (i.e. not comparing your performance w/ Favre's).

Obviously, I at least find it interesting enough that I would pop over every week or so to see if you had posted anything new even after you "retired". You didn't do it like Schmatz, who took his site down entirely.

The ralph account said...

Why yes Mr. Farrell, that is indeed a good point. Not knowing when to quit is exactly my point. But why quit? Favre says he has a job until they fire him. As long as the stalkers stay at bay, I am cool with it.