Monday, June 20, 2011

Seasonal Pessimism Kills Art.


It is hard to believe that summer is already here. I missed spring yet again. Spring is the best time to slow things down. Again, I should have taken in the Dogwoods and the Rose Bud trees blooming in the cool air, even if it was raining most of the time. It has to do with winter coming to an end, the gray colors fading into pinks and yellows and violets. This is what Missouri does right around late March. It happens slowly and if you don't stop and center yourself on what's happening, you miss it, as I did. It's no different than late October when golden brown leaves hit the ground after a heavy rain, this after months of dry air and outdoor fall sports, reminding us that winter is right around the corner. Pessimism.

I missed this spring due to having my head down again. I don't plan on missing another. I told myself years ago that, when I reached 50 years old, I would close one chapter and begin another. I am not sure if it has to do with work or just general energy spent on being less aggressive, less competitive, less the need to control. I am thinking art here folks. Taking my personal artisanship to the next level. I will write about this soon. Of course, I still need to make money and finish putting my kid through college and all that stuff, but why not start the new journey now, when I can still feel the youthful urging of wonder lust? Don't we all want to hang on to a little bit of that? I don't want my wonder lust to fade, but I certainly want my family with me. This seems to be more important as of late.

I think the spring amplifies wonder lust and, if our head's down and you don't look up and watch whats going on around you, you miss the opportunity to think objectively, to reflect on things from the past while looking forward, towards the future and with the things that are most important to you. I hope its not too late to still be able to pull this off. This in the light of certain things in and out of my control. This after a pretty killer fathers day that flowed from moment to moment, perfectly, with my wife of 22 years, my best friend.

So I am centering a bit here folks. Stepping back with a new POV. It is prudent at this juncture, even though I don't really know what it is. I thought to myself the other day-- what is there for me to write about lately? And I had a hard time coming up with much to say other than some pessimistic rhetorical crap that pushes peoples buttons.

I need new images, new experiences and influences to be inspired, to be the best that I can be. Don't we all? I think a couple of trips are in order. I am heading to California in a couple weeks to chill on the beach and see some music, gonna do Colorado and New Mexico, a couple other places before getting busy in September. This time there will be a plan to relax and consider what is important in life.

Just now my wife said for me to rush in to the kitchen. Little Girl, as we have named her, the most resilient female deer in our back yard deer family, has given birth again to some babies and this morning was the first we have seen them. It is going to be a good day.

Yep, while in Hermosa Beach I will bring my guitar and play on the pier. Always wanted to do that, ifyouknowhatimtalkingbout.

1 comment:

herekittykitty said...

Oh, iknowwhatyourtalkinabout. Enjoy LA!