Friday, May 4, 2007

Fight Club and Sheryl Crow


Tyler Durden: Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments...

Two interesting things happened last weekend. After my ride on Saturday morning-a 45 mile off road epic, I came home and could do just about nothing. I turned on TBS and there is was, Fight Club. I hadn't seen the whole movie in its entirety and wanted to. This was going to be it. I was alone, as I would be for the rest of the afternoon.

Janie had gotten all pissed off at the Arch Bishop for slamming the Children's Hospital Benefit so later that night we were to go to the concert. On Friday and in severe disgust, she ran to the computer, got online and purchased three tickets to the show for just under a hundred bucks, in support of the kids. I like Sheryl Crow and Billy Crystal was great in Soap as the gay guy. And I do respect the Arch Bishop for taking a strategic plunge into the murky waters of bad PR, especially if the Pope was watching. I figured the Arch Bishop simply was up for review, he has been here just a short while. I really don't think my commentary can do any more damage to the catholic church than the leader, so I will not expand.

I love this movie, Fight Club. Pretty much one of the more brilliant movies of the 90's. Mischief. Mayhem. Soap, the tag line for the movie.

At the benefit, yes, it was a benefit not a concert, I was under dressed. Janie said that jeans wouldn't cut it and that I would feel uncomfortable because everyone else would be dressed up. I said: "dude, I am going to a concert, I just watched Fight Club" and proceeded to put on a black shirt and jeans.

My favorite quote in the movie:

Tyler Durden
: You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your *&%$# khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Upon arriving at the benefit, not the concert that I had envisioned, I was met with a sea of black ties, long dresses and posturing benefactors. I proceeded directly to the steps where I climbed for 10 minutes, to the laypeople seats. Great show.

No comments: