Monday, June 2, 2008

Who's wet?

This Sunday certainly paved the way for some fitness for all involved in the sport of Mountain Bike Racing in Missouri. Matson hill, the hated up and downer course was on the block, as well as Rhett's Run in Columbia. Since Shuck is so dandily in the contention for second place in the NORBA series, it was I who chose to take on the Midwest Fat Tire race in Columbia. I was the only Velo Forcer there, ahem, and glad I went. I took 2nd in the marathon class with six laps of pain. I will take it. And the 50 bucks! Though I don't think I performed all that well. I am still not used to this class yet and am in the process of shifting up the training to include more climbing and longer "speed" rides. The hydration and nutrition seem to be an issue as well. Soon to change. There were times when I was cramping (or near cramping) starting on the 4th lap and could barely climb, being passed by a bunch of sport riders. This really slows me down, the cramping. So much climbing on that freaking course. I finally limped in to the finish after holding on to 2nd place the entire race. Nathen Means friggin lapped me, but he is Da-Wayne caliber, and, as of this writing, about 90 pounds lighter. I still have a decent way to go but starting to feel the form. Should be good to go for the Binder Lake 6 hour event in a couple weeks.

Looks like Becky Cato took 1st at Matson, Mike Teiber took 4th in Expert, way to go Becky and Mike! Also, Zak Haffner, took 1st in Sport, Lindenwoods newest recruit and ICCC.

It is Landahl this weekend for a power fest. Really looking forward to this race, as it is one of the best courses in the midwest. Who is going? This is a must do race. Kanssas City.

3 comments:

TeamSeagal said...

Ralph, you doin' Binder 6 Hour too? Congrats on the 2nd place finish! I'll see you this weekend @ Landahl...

-Matt Grothoff

The ralph account said...

I am going to do binder, it is in August,not July though. This will be a good one. Going to try and do solo.

The ralph account said...
This comment has been removed by the author.