Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Lewis Greenberg

Wow. Things are picking up on the front lines lately. Lewis Greenberg's war against the naysayers has been a little busier as of late, challenging his neighbors and city officials of Ballwin on his first amendment rights of expression, his beef against those who....well....don't "get" it.

Lewis Greenberg is famous for his art in West County, St. Louis, MO. He is a retired Art teacher, Cyclist, Senior Olympian, eccentric conversationalist and in-your-face technicolor conflict character, right here in our own community. There is nobody like Lewis. Take the time to get to know him when you meet him. There is a world, a "place" to visit when speaking with Lewis. Set aside your pre-conceived notions and take the trip. There is something remarkably complex, something brilliant about him. If you can keep up.

I befriended Lewis a few years ago so I check in on him from time to time. I need a dose of Lewis from time to time for reasons of my own, a reminder that our lives are truly never as dull as we think--that people like Lewis truly make life more interesting.

I decided to drive by to see if he was home on Sunday, in the wake of "media week". Lewis indeed received some media attention; "a good week" he says. No less than 10 cars drove by slowly, to get a load of Lewis and his art, his next door neighbor busy doing yard work, seperated from a big white fence from Lewis, as we spoke in front of his house.

When I return from vacation, Lewis and I agreed that a second article was in order. I want to be careful to capture the meaning of it all, the essence. I want to tackle the issue at hand, find out a little more about his art, its meaning, talk a little about the Vampires and Zombies in his life.

I received a nice comment from Clayton, Lewis's son, and a correction is due the both of them. Clayton never left his father as it might have been implied, life simply moved them in different directions. Thanks Clayton for letting me know. Lewis truly deserves happiness as everyone does. I am motivated to provide a little push in that direction for certain people; the reason for this blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I first remember riding with Lewis decades ago on Bluff Rd. His bike had a LONG/tall quill stem and aerobars. This was due to a broken back from an auto accident. Even with back problems, he was out there riding.

I last rode with him this past winter again on Bluff Rd. Also I've seen him at the MarketPlace after rides. He always asks about my daughter who races and is an artist.

I feel sorry for Lewis; however, in the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe he's feeling sorry for me! He certainly seems to be having fun with his life. It sure ain't boring!

Anonymous said...

Lewis.

As you said, you were Googleable. Enjoyed meeting you at the Strawberry Festival ride over shortcake.

Anonymous said...

I wonder why no one has commented on the fact that he can be more than cruel in his dealings with people. Brilliant? Not in my opinion. Just a mean soul who gets joy out of mocking and swearing at bicyclists. One who likes to ANNOY them by riding so close to their back tire that they are often knocked OFF their bikes. Is that BRILLIANT? He made my sons rides so miserable that he finally gave up the one pleasure he had because of LEWIS GREENBERG. Lewis even found and called him at home, ONLY to scream and swear at him. Brilliant? Ralph, maybe that is what you call BRILLIANT, but as for me, I call him CRUEL beyond words. Did you know that he carried a HIT LIST with him which he showed to people saying before he dies he instends to KILL the people on that list? My son was on that list. WHY? Because my son wouldn't come into Lewis' home to ADMIRE his ART WORK. You consider him BRILLIANT? He WAS an IS a ticking time bomb full of HATE. You chose to consider him BRILLIANT. I chose to try not to remember how much MENTAL anguish he caused my son before my son DIED. Lewis has mental problems that will erupt someday. He doesn't need to be CHAMPIONED, he needs to be stopped before he causes more harm. Have you ever seen the CARD he carries in his WALLET stating some severe warnings to anyone who tries to control him?

The ralph account said...

I am trying to figure out your point, hmmm, somwhere in the midst of your low road approach to dealing...with...Lewis... Oh there it is. "He needs to be stopped".